Now accepting General User Proposals for Remote Experiments
The DCS utilizes the APS Beam Time Access System to receive all proposals for experimental time at the DCS (CAT and General User). Because of the unique challenges in creating a user schedule for the DCS, the schedule is created one Run ahead of the normal APS schedule. For example, the submission deadline for Run 1 of any calendar year for other APS sectors shall correspond to the deadline for Run 2 (of that same calendar year) submissions for DCS Users.
Explanation of Shift Allocation at DCS for Experimental Time
When submitting your proposal in the Beam Time System for DCS experimental time, you will be asked to specify the number of shifts required to complete your experiments.
One shift = 8 hours.
The DCS allocates user time on a per day basis (not by individual shifts), 3 shifts will be charged toward your proposal for one day of experiments. Two days of experiments = 6 shifts, and so on.
Now accepting General User Proposals for Remote Experiments*
* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, external users are not allowed onsite to conduct experiments at the APS. Therefore, all experiments at the DCS are being performed with users participating remotely.
New General Users at DCS
If you are interested in conducting General User Program experiments at DCS, please take the following steps:
- Review the DCS General User Guidelines (additional guidance regarding the procedures for conducting experiments remotely will be provided if you are allocated experimental time)
- Review and confirm that you can assemble complete targets according to the target preparation procedures for plate impact or laser shock experiments. All users are required to provide fully assembled targets at least 1 week in advance of scheduled user experiments.
— Plate Impact Target Assembly Procedures
— Laser Shock Target Assembly Procedures
- Submit the required DCS New General User Questionnaire
- Contact the DCS for initial discussion of your experimental needs (email@example.com or 630-252-9854)
- Complete the APS User Registration (required for proposal submission and conducting experiments at the APS). If you have any questions, please contact the APS User Office at (630) 252-9090 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For step-by-step instructions and detailed information to become an APS User, please refer to the online APS New User Checklist.
- Submit a General User proposal (GUP) request. Steps 1-5 must be completed before proposal submission.
- For more information about the APS General User Program, including proposal submission instructions, please visit the APS General User Proposal website.
Returning General Users at DCS
In the newly established DCS remote operations, returning DCS General Users should follow the New General User steps outlined above including submission of the Questionnaire.
CAT Members at DCS
Contact your organization’s DCS Point of Contact (POC) for information about applying for experimental time at DCS. Do not submit a proposal in the APS Beam Time Access System.