The Dynamic Compression Sector (DCS) offers unique Impact Facilities required for dynamic compression experiments. The state-of-the-art research facilities at the DCS provide the ideal environment for examining materials under extreme conditions.
Multiple impact launcher configurations provide users access to a wide range of impact velocities ranging between 0.6 – above 5.5 km/s. The broad range of attainable velocities and impactor materials will allow users to choose desired impact stresses and pulse durations. The impact launchers are mounted on fully automated motion control systems capable of orienting the angle of either the target surface or the impactor relative to the X-ray beam direction, with a linear and angular resolution of 10 µm and 1 mrad (0.06 degree), respectively. X-ray measurements can be made on either the target or the impactor. Optical Beam Breaks mounted in the barrel, impact chamber, and target allow synchronization of X-ray pulses and instrumentation triggering.
- Single-Stage Gas Gun (SSGG) and a Powder Gun (PG), each with a ½” bore
- Two-Stage Light Gas Gun (2SLGG) and a PG, each with a ½” bore
- Impact velocities between 0.6 – above 5.5 km/s
- Impact launchers mounted on motion control systems with linear and angular resolutions of 10 μm and 1 mrad (0.06 degree), respectively. System is remotely controlled via an EPICS control program.
- Optical Beam Breaks (OBBs) mounted in the barrel, impact chamber, and target allow synchronization of X-ray pulses and instrumentation triggering.