Laser Shock Facility
The laser-shock facility includes a clean room to house the laser and a specialized target chamber that includes a cryogenic target holder and large ports for diagnostics. Both transmission and reflection X-ray diffraction geometries are accommodated by automated target and laser focal spot positioning capabilities. A high-speed X-ray chopper isolates single X-ray pulses. The X-ray pulses and laser trigger are synchronized to the storage ring RF clock to ensure precise timing of the X-ray and laser pulses.
Full descriptors of the DCS laser shock capabilities are documented within these publication:
- Wang, X., P. Rigg, J. Sethian, N. Sinclair, N. Weir, B. Williams, J. Zhang, J. Hawreliak, Y. Toyoda, Y. M. Gupta, Y. Li, D. Broege, J. Bromage, R. Earley, D. Guy, and J. Zuegel (2019). “The Laser Shock Station in the Dynamic Compression Sector. I.” Review of Scientific Instruments 90: 053901-1-053901-16.
- Broege, D., S. Fochs, G. Brent, J. Bromage, C. Dorrer, R. F. Earley, M. J. Guardalben, J. A. Marozas, R. G. Roides, J. Sethian, X. Wang, D. Weiner, J. Zweiback, and J. D. Zuegel (2019). “The Dynamic Compression Sector Laser: A 100-J UV Laser for Dynamic compression Research.” Review of Scientific Instruments 90: 053001-1-053001-10.
Laser shock experiments are conducted using a 100J laser system with the following specifications:
- 351 nm fixed wavelength on target
- Focused spatial profile with a 500 micron diameter flat top
- Flexible pulse shape control
- High throughput (a shot every 25 minutes)
- Beam smoothing of better than 8%
- Capable of 5-15 ns pulse duration with smooth focal profile for uniform ramp and shock compression (250 μm and 500 μm spot size)
- Tunable UV laser pulse energy on target, 30-90% of full UV pulse energy, 10% increment, no distortion of laser pulse shape
- Highly flexible target chamber with translation stage and 135° rotation to vary angle between x-ray and laser beams
- Multiple ports for simultaneous diagnostics
- Excellent synchronization (<200 ps) between laser pulse and single x-ray pulse (isolated with high speed chopper) to obtain real-time, x-ray data
- LineVISAR and/or point VISAR diagnostic capabilities for each experiment
- Target holder for up to 16 targets
- U17.2 (24 keV, 1st harmonic)
- Please limit visiting experimenters to five or less
- Fabrication Instructions
- Configuration Diagram