APS Site Access
Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) is a controlled-access facility. When you visit Argonne National Laboratory and the Advanced Photon Source (APS), you must obtain permission in advance, and will need a visitor pass to enter the Argonne campus. Special access requirements apply for non-U.S. citizens. To request access, you must register with the User Office (see link below). After you complete on-site orientation, you will be issued an APS user badge, which will grant you access to the Argonne site on future visits. Requirements for access to the experiment floor include (for every team member):
- Completed registration form
- All required documentation and approvals for non-U.S. citizens
- Signed user agreement
- Funded user account (in certain cases)
- Completion of appropriate training
The APS User Registration is required to do hands-on work at the APS. Complete this form well in advance of your first visit. To complete the APS User Registration, please click here. If you have any questions, please contact the APS User Office at (630) 252-9090 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you arrive at ANL, your gate pass may be picked up at the Argonne Information Center (AIC) located just outside the Main Gate Guard House off Cass Avenue. The Center is open M-F, 6:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CST. A pass may be left at the Guard House for pick up during times when the AIC is not open.
ANL Gate Hours
- Main Gate (on Northgate Rd. off Cass Ave.): 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- West Gate (on Westgate Rd. off Lemont Rd.): 5:45 a.m. – 7:10 p.m. M-F
- East Gate (on Eastwood Dr. off Cass Ave.): 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. M-F
If you have questions regarding your upcoming visit to DCS, please call (630) 252-9854.